Home

Tools needed to replace heater core

This is because the evaporator core is included in the HVAC plenum which will be removed along with the heater core. Using a resource like AllData will help show you step by step how to do the job (specifically), additionally they show labor time, cost and part numbers to the parts needed to do the job Use a screwdriver to pry off these 2 clips on the heater core pipes. Don't lose these clips! Pull/hold these vacuum elements out of the way, along with anything else obstructing the foam-padded heater core. Start pulling out the core Install the replacement heater core into the Navigator and replace the access cover and climate control housing. Reconnect all hoses and electrical connectors, using new O-ring seals where they are needed. Clean and lubricate the coolant hoses if necessary, using plain water. Lubricate the refrigerant system with clean PAG oil The heater core has coolant lines which connect to it and produce the actual heat. A fan then pushes the heat through the ventilation system and into the cabin. If a heater core gets clogged or the blend door becomes jammed, the unit will need to be removed Step 1 - Drain coolant. To remove the heater core, disconnect the coolant lines from it. In order to prevent as much mess as possible, drain the coolant first. Position a drain pan underneath the drain hole on the radiator. Remove the coolant reservoir cap; make sure the engine is cool before removing it. Using a 3/4 socket, remove the drain.

Need to replace rear heater core Do you. have the same problem? Yes. No. Saturday, February 2nd, 2019 AT 11:52 AM. 1 Reply. SCGRANTURISMO EXPERT; Hello, I have included step by step instructions on how to remove your auxiliary heater core. Installation is the reverse of the removal instructions Ford F-250: How to Replace Heater Core. How to Replace Heater Core If you've lost all heat or you're leaking coolant, you may need a new heater core. This article applies to the Ford F-250, F-350 Super Duty (2005-2014). The heater core is responsible.

How to Replace a Heater Core - 2CarPro

To install: Install or connect the following: Heater core to the heater case. Heater core cover screws and tighten to 14 inch lbs. (1.5 Nm) Heater case assembly and the assembly-to-chassis screws, then, tighten the screws to 35 inch lbs. (4 Nm) and the nuts to 80 inch lbs. (9 Nm) Electrical connectors, as necessary Loosen the radiator cap, and place a drain pan under the radiator drain plug or petcock. Remove the plug or open the petcock to drain the coolant. 5. Remove the glove box door or any related parts that are in front of the heater core. 6. Carefully remove any wiring connected to your heater core. 7

You will need to cut this strap and remove the bolts (10 MM) near the seam this strap protects. You will not reuse or replace this strap. Then, you will need to remove the 4 nuts on the firewall (11 MM) that hold the blower motor/ heater core section of the case in the truck. You will also need to disconnect the heater hoses from the core How difficult is it to replace the heater core on a 1990 Dakota 6 cylinder? I'm concerned if special tools are needed, - Answered by a verified Dodge Mechanic. We use cookies to give you the best possible experience on our website The heater core is a small, radiator-type device that's located behind your car's dashboard. Hot engine coolant flows through the heater core. As the coolant passes through, a blower motor forces air across the heater core to transfer heat into the cabin. Lack of upkeep is one of the leading causes of heater core failure The heater core is similar to a radiator and is a part of the vehicle's coolant system. Hot coolant that has passed through other parts of the engine is run through the heater core as air is forced past it and into the cabin of the vehicle to heat it. A clogged heater core will prevent the coolant from passing through it, limiting the amount. Slide the housing out from under the heater core. Loosen up the 5.5 millimeter bolt, securing the clip that holds in the top of the heater core and slide the bracket out of the way. You can then drop it down and pull it though the firewall. Here we have our old heater core that we removed from our truck and our new part from 1AAuto.com

Heater Core Removal and Replacemen

You should not attempt to replace a heater core in your Ford Focus without consulting an expert first. Replacing the core from the heater itself may be easy, but you must reach the heater from behind the instrument panel inside the car. And there are some models where a non-expert can't replace the core at all Heater core replacement on 1993-1997 and maybe 1998-2001 ford range Simple DIY Instructions for Heater Core Replacement. Heater core replacement is quite interesting and simple, that is if you follow the right instructions. You need to be a bit careful and patient while removing and replacing a heater core, as spilling the coolant can cause staining Therefore you need to replace it for the proper working of the climate control system of the truck. How Do You Replace a Heater Core in a Ford F150? Replacing the heater core in Ford F-150 involves removing the complete dashboard, wiring connectors, and glove compartment to access the HVAC assembly It's easier than it looks GMC Jimmy Heater core 1997. A Sunday project - replace the heater core in the Jimmy. I didn't know what to expect, really, I knew it would take more time than the 73 Jeep Commando which had five screws and two hose clamps. I had to remove the dash to get to it and alloted six hours for the deed

If antifreeze is leaking into the interior most likely it is the heater core. I don't have direct experience but most likely a lot of time is needed removing varios parts of the dash to get it out to replace. Not too technical. Check you tube fora pilot or odyssey replacement procedure if no ridges can be found as it should be very similar first determine if the heater core is located high or low by raising the hood checking against the firewall {by following the heater hoses to the fire wall} if it is high need to remove the dash. if it is low get on your back and start removing clips and screws no special tool needed

1968-1982 Corvette Heater Box Rebuild | Corvette Magazine

Lincoln Navigator Replace Heater Core - WikituneUp - The

Change Heater Core or AC Evaporator - 2004 Dodge Stratus August 8, 2009 1:08 pm dennisb - Auto Tool Sales Air Conditioning, DIY, Evap Replacement, How To Auto Repair. Pictures are of a 2004 Dodge Stratus like the Chrysler Sebring - click on images for a larger view If you decide to tackle it just make sure you plan it ahead, understand all the steps and the sequence of removal / replacement , and have all the tools you'll need on hand. Also a good idea to buy a replacement steering wheel bolt as they can strip if reused. Also, I found you DO NOT have to drain the coolant, just clamp off the heater core hoses rchavez on February 10, 2009. It would be best that a qualified mechanic performed replacement of heater core as Special tools and Equipment are needed. Air Conditioning system needs to be Discharged using approved refrigerant recovery/recycling Equipment to remove Heater/ Evaporator Case. Air Bag system needs to be Disable to remove Dash assembly E90 Heater Core Replacement (DIY) Required tools: Interior trim tools (plastic) Torx set Reverse Torx sockets need a/c specific tools to do this yourself. If you do not have the scale, gauges, and proper R134a tanks, find someone that does. The book says not to run the engine when the system is depressurized as i few less steps. We will replace the heater core, heater hoses and heater control valve. Part Needed: 706152 67-69 Firewall pad with clips (non A/C) 706153 67-69 Firewall pad with clips (A/C) 706154 70-81 Firewall pad with clips 718060 67 Heater core, SB (non A/C) 718061 67 Heater core, BB (non A/C) 718062 67-68 Heater core, SB/BB (with A/C

Chevrolet Silverado 1999-2006: How to Replace Heater Core

Turn off the power to the water heater at the breaker. Open the cover on the side of the tank. Disconnect the two wires on the element. Note: Make sure the water is drained below the element being replaced. Use an element puller (Image 1) to remove the bad element. Insert a screwdriver into the element puller to get more leverage What you need: If you are going in because of the heater core do yourself a favor and plan to replace the Core and Evaporator, no reason to do this more than needed. I also did the Blower motor and resistor on recommendation, but both of those units (at least in the '01) are accessible without taking the dash out

Ford F-250: How to Replace Heater Core Ford-truck

1. utes not 14 hours. http://www.theheatercoreguys.com WE GOT THE HEAT.F150's $370.00 doll..
  2. It can be very expensive depending on the vehicle. An example is a Jeep Liberty where the entire dash and steering column must be disconnected and pulled away from the inside firewall, passenger airbag removed, radio removed, the coolant must be d..
  3. Remove the heater core clamp screws. Remove the heater core clamp (2). Remove the heater core from the HVAC module. Heater core clamp screws. Tighten the screws to 1.9 N.m (17 lb in) . Install the heater core pipes clamp screw (3). Tighten the screw to 20 N.m (15 lb ft) . Installation is the opposite of removal

You do not need to replace the heater core!!! Save a ton of cash and a lot of your time and effort. The fix is cheap and can be done in a couple of hours. I have a 2007 Jeep Liberty and the heater core was leaking and had the terrible coolant smell in the vehicle when driving. I constantly needed to add coolant to the reservoir There are a couple of exposed bolts that go into the firewall side of the heater core housing and bolt it to the firewall. I took as many of these out as I could, but found that it wasn't necessary and I had wasted time doing so. They were 10mm's, and all I really needed to remove were the 7mm's. Remove all of them that you can see The heater box had lots of screws and clips around it. There only a couple of screws which I couldn't get to on the backside (passenger side). I was able to open it up enough to pull the heater core out. I took the core into a local radiator shop and they were able to fix it by sealing off the bottom row, saved me $350 for a new core Of all the cars i've owned over the years and the heater cores I have replaced, this Dakota and my old FWD Duster (K car) are the only 2 that have needed to remove the entire dash to replace the heater core. For example, I had an 86' Cutlass Ciera that had a bad heater core, it was a pain, but most of my dashboard was in tact Ok, Got the A/C Heater Housing open last night, and got the heater core and evaporator core removed. I found out for sure that the heater core was bad Filled it up with a water hose and just watched water pour from one of the ends of the little pipes with the fins, it was corroded all around it right where it connected to the block, and had antifreeze stains all around it

How to Replace the Heater Core in a Lincoln Navigator It

1. I need to replace my heater core. I already have a new plastic plenum and will order a new 2 1/2 heater core and a heater seal kit from Falcon Parts. Heater Core C0DZ-18576-A .95.jpg Do need anything else? Would I need, or would it be nice to have, these cowl seal retaining clips or heater housing clips? Cowl seal retaining clips 4488.50.jp
  2. So the heater core replacement cost for a 2010 Ford Taurus breaks down as follows: Labor for AC evacuation and recharge, dash removal, heater core replacement 9.6 hours $125= $1,122.50. Replacement heater core $150. Replacement refrigerant $90. Total heater core replacement cost $1,452.50 ©, 2017 Rick Muscopla
  3. ium pipes and replace them with the new ones. Step 13
  4. I've seen a lot of posts concerning heater core replacement in the younger C3's and haven't seen much info on changing them, so here's my attempt. I certainly don't possess the paper writing skills of many here so I might have missed the inclusion of a step, but I hope this helps a few. The job took me about 6.5 hours
  5. Figure 14. Grab the heater core and begin to feed it out of the heater box in the direction of the yellow arrow. As you remove it, pull the heater core pipes out of the heater hose pipes at the firewall. Once the pipes are detached, remove the heater core from the vehicle (yellow arrow). Figure 15
In Focus: Lisle Heater Hose Disconnect for Ford 2Ford Heater Hose Quick Connect Release how to | DooviI need to replace the heater core on a 2003 Ford Ranger2007-2013 Toyota Tundra Regular Cab Car Audio Profile

Heater Core Replacement TOOLS REQUIRED J 38185 Hose Clamp Pliers REMOVAL PROCEDURE 1.Drain the coolant. Refer to Draining and Filling Cooling System in Cooling System. 2.Use J 38185 in order to position aside the heater hose inlet and outlet clamps at the heater core. 3.Disconnect the inlet and outlet heater hose from the heater core Replace heater core cover and screws. Replace instrument panel-to-cowl brace and screws. Replace glove box and screws. Connect heater hoses to hear core tubes and tighten clamps. Refill radiator, leave radiator cap off. Start engine and bring to operating temperature (thermostat opens, coolant level drops), add coolant as necessary to bring to. Set the heater to the MAX heat position. Check the temperature of the heater core hoses: Both hoses should be too hot to hold. Typically, the inlet hose should be about 20 degrees warmer than the outlet hose. If the outlet heater hose is significantly cooler than the inlet hose, the heater core is probably clogged Get it as soon as Thu, Jul 8. FREE Shipping on orders over $25 shipped by Amazon. More Buying Choices. $6.96 (16 new offers) OEMTOOLS 27106 Heater Hose Disconnect Tool, Line Disconnect, Automotive Hose Removal Tool, OEM Heater Hose Disconnect, Automotive Quick Disconnect Tool. 4.2 out of 5 stars

Blower Not Moving Any Air | FunnyDog

Rear Heater Core Replacement: Need to Replace Rear Heater Cor

I need to replace the heater core in my son's 1994 Rodeo Izuzu. The core itself is not the problem, but one of the nipples the heater hose connects to is broken off almost to the firewall. The nipple seems to be some form of plastic. There is not much left to connect hose to In order to remove the thing you can either cut it off (and risk damage to the heater core) or use this tool. One other thing of note, I needed the tool to get the new quick connect installed, basically I reversed the action of removing the original. The original one would go back on easily, but the new one would not Once you've diagnosed a bad heater core, you need to decide on your next step. Replacing the heater core on a 700/900 is about the most tedious job you can imagine. There are no decent shortcuts I know of, such as cutting an access into the plastic duct boxes You should replace both connectors at once to avoid a repeat situation. One of the hoses has a plastic Y on it, one hose goes to the heater core, one comes from the radiator overflow canister, and the other side goes to the water pump. You can replace this Y with one that does not have bonded hoses, or you can reuse it The pH should be in the range of 7.7 - 11.0. And the mix should be 50/50. Test the heater core for leaks: pin hole leaks in the core could be a sign of Electrolysis. This condition is usually a result of add on equipment - stereo amplifiers, alarm systems, plow lifts, etc. that have not been properly grounded to the vehicle

Tue, Jul 5, 2005 1:28 PM. I strongly suggest you purchase the shop manual. the heater core is fairly easy to remove. you do not have to drop the steering column. the heater box is to the right of it held by 4 bolts. the only difficulty is removing the hose clips, which require a locking long nose tool Our Project 77's heater core decided to start to leak so we contacted Zip Corvette Parts, 8067 Fast Lane, Mechanicsville, VA 23111, (800) 962-9632, They were able to supply us with all the needed parts to replace the heater core and totally rebuild our heater box. This project will take the average home restorer about 6 hours to complete * I took the heater control valve/pipe into the radiator shop simultaneously with the heater core as it appeared to need a thorough cleaning. I felt it needed a cleaning because I had the heater core previously bypassed. * The radiator and all the hoses were freshly replaced previously to the heater core project 2. Disconnect both heater hoses at the dash. 3. Remove the nuts retaining the heater assembly to the dash. 4. Disconnect the temperature and defroster cables al the heater. 5. Disconnect the wires from the resistor,and disconnect the blower motor. wires and the dip retaining the heater assembly to the defroster nozzle So the heater core in my 1999 Dodge Dakota has a leak. The heater takes forever to get warm and you can smell antifreeze when you turn it on. As long as I don't have the heat turned on though, the.

Premium Member. Joined Dec 9, 2015. ·. 7,006 Posts. #6 · Oct 23, 2017. Just STUDY UP FIRST and take your time! I recently replaced the core on our 04 Neon, same thing of dash removal.. I am slightly disabled by back trouble, it took me 3 days to do it (but have been an auto tech all my life) The Project: Regardless of just how broken your heater hose quick connector is, the aim of this project is to get the remaining pieces out without damaging the threads on the engine block side.. Damaging the threads could end up becoming a very costly ordeal, and would likely be easiest to fix by removing and replacing that area of the block, which is a waste of time and money when only one. In a '96 Seville/Eldorado the heater core replacement is probably THE EASIEST JOB next to a wheel replacement. There is NO NEED to cut ANYTHING, all you need to do is remove the glove box (about 4-5 T easily accessible self tapping screws - you do have to open the glove box door for this ) Joined Jun 14, 2010. ·. 1,192 Posts. Discussion Starter · #8 · Dec 2, 2010. my heater core is plugged. whoever owned my truck before me used the wrong coolant causing things to cavitate and rust because they didnt used distilled water, so i have replaced just about everything that coolant runs through besides the block/heads and heater core 5. Disconnect the heater hoses from the heater core, then remove the heater core grommets. Be sure to plug the heater hoses so you do not loose too much fluid. 6. Remove the heater case cover attaching screws (#9) and the front cover (#18). The heater core is now visible and remove the heater core retainer (#21). The old core can now be removed. 8

Your vehicle's overall performance is your top priority, which is why something as simple as replacing your Ford Mustang heater core should not be overlooked, especially in the midst of the colder months. If your cars passenger cabin is way too cold in the winter, then chances are you need a heater core replacement for Ford Mustang The heater core is a small radiator that air blows across and heats the cabin. With age and bad coolant change practices, the heater core can corrode and leak coolant into the cabin. On this Freestar, there is a tray underneath the heater core and it directs coolant into the engine compartment Also I got a Spectra brand heater core from Rock Auto, the OEM heater core at the dealer was too much money and weirdly it is made out of copper (just strange because the radiator is aluminum and when the two are present in a system galvanic corrosion can occur). The Spectra brand one was aluminum though and it was a direct fit for 50ish dollars

Ford F-150: How To Replace Heater Core Ford-truck

When your Jeep Liberty heater core has a hole in it, the air from the vents is going to come out lukewarm, at best. Restore your heating system by purchasing a quality replacement from AutoZone. If your defroster is shooting moisture at your windshield and causing it to fog over, a faulty heater core is even putting your safety at risk Remove the clamps using a channel lock pliers and remove the hoses. Once hoses are off go back inside and remove two screws from heater core brackets on passenger side of heater core. Pull the heater core out the passenger side. You do not need to remove the dash. This procedure will take 1.5 to 2 hours to complete

While heater core replacement is not a difficult task, it can often be tricky to place the heater core in its proper mounting location. It is for this reason that many shade-tree mechanics take their vehicles to a professional garage for heater core replacement. These professional mechanics typically have access to specialty tools that make the job of replacing a heater core much simpler Fast and easy Heater Core Replacement service at your home or office. CALL US TOLL FREE: 1 (877) 573-0515. Finding a trusted mechanic at a reasonable price can be extremely difficult. With YourMechanic you can skip the auto shop altogether Re: Heater core replacement in BD/BG/BK PIC HEAVY! Well, today was the terrible day. I have just over 3.5 hours into pulling the dash/blower box/heater box, replacing the core and blower motor, swapping the dash harness onto a new dash, and reinstalling it all Hi all, I am a pretty good mechanic with good set of tools. Heater Core Leaking / Replacement Tips? Discussion in '1st Gen Tundras (2000-2006)' started by alfa164, Mar 21, 2017. Post Reply. Mar 21, 2017 at 10:26 PM #1 #1. He has the heater core new and it came with truck

R33 Glovebox Cover Removal - Tutorials / DIY / FAQ - SAU

What's the easiest way to replace the heater core on a 05

After replacement. Close the new valve. Then open the water-main shutoff valve and let the water run until all the air is out of the pipes. Then shut off the upper and lower faucets. Check the new valves for leaks. Turn the water heater gas valve back to 'on' or flip on the circuit breakers to the electric water heater Also called the heater core, the evaporator core is considered an essential component of the air conditioning system of a Chevy vehicle. It provides the actual cooling. Once you notice it stops functioning, you need to remove the evaporator coil and change it Replace the heater core cover and reconnect the heater core outlet. Reconnect any hoses that you can reach from the interior of the car. Wait to reconnect the instrument panel until you've confirmed that everything is properly installed with no leaks. Jack the front end up again and replace the jack stands

How to Replace a Heater Core AutoM

1. 56 Posts. #4 · Oct 4, 2012. I don't think the whole dash has to be pulled. The procedure on alldata calls for glove box and mating trim, evaporator case, lower or remove steering column, then heater case. Shows a labor time of 5.4 hrs so not the worst on a heater core, if you have the shop do it make sure they're not robbing you on labor
  2. To use the heater hose disconnect tool, fully expose the locking tabs, push the tool over the locking tabs to compress them, then pull the hose away from the heater core tube. It's that easy. If you're an auto expert or DIY mechanic, you need this tool for easier disconnections
  3. Step 5: Remove Old Heater Core. Lift up your car hood and locate the heater core. If you need to remove other parts of your engine, do it carefully according to the instructions in your repair manual. Notice how things were attached so that replacing the parts will be easier. Some makes of cars have the heater core under the dash inside car

Heater Core Replacement - MJ Tech: Modification and

1. The Heater core seems to be a major issue with this vehicle. Especially if you live in cold areas. The Heater only blows warm air on the driver side of the vehicle and cold air on the passenger side. Dodge is well aware of this issue but has not done a recall on this placing the cost to repair this problem onto the consumerThe cost can be.
  2. The purpose of a heater control valve is to control the flow of engine coolant to the heater core, located within the passenger compartment. When the heater or defroster is turned on, warm engine.
  3. You do not need to remove the Dash to replace the heater core in a 1st Generation S-10 Blazer. I own a 1991 2Dr 4wd S10 Blazer AC and I also own a 1994 4DR 4wd Blazer with AC. The first time I replaced the heater core, was on my 1991 Blazer. For the first time, I consulted the Internet for advise, and was told to remove the dash
  4. The 92-96 models were again redesigned and somewhat easier to access for repair. But the 90 and 91 models are the worst you can get. I bought my 1990 cheap because it had a heater core leak. Not being a GM guy I thought gee how hard could it be to change a heater core. That quickly proved to be a really stupid mistake

The heater core can be an elusive and vital car part to replace. Learn a few simple steps for removing and replacing the heater core correctly from a certified mechanic in this free video series. Part 1 of 32 - How to Replace a Ford Explorer or Mountaineer heater core The opposite hose coming from the heater core should be cooler than the hose with coolant going in. This is a sign of a well functioning heater core. For many vehicles, the replacement of the heater control valve is fairly straightforward if the valve is right out in the open. Otherwise make sure to adhere to the procedures in the service. The most common cause of heater core problems is neglect, cooling systems need to be serviced on a regular basis, coolant can become corrosive and will cause deterioration of the core. Use caution when installing the heater core, these units are made of thin metal and plastic and are easily broken Luckily the heater core and blower motor in a Jeep Wrangler YJ are relatively easy to change. Unlike that old Camaro I once had, you don't need to remove the whole dash just to get to it. Just drop out the heater box, take the back off, change out the parts, then put 'er back together again. Never removing the dash To replace your Mustang Heater Core, most shops charge anywhere from $250-$400. I've even heard of dealerships (or stealerships, whichever you prefer) charging $600-$800 for the same job! I don't know about you, but I would rather spend a weekend and less than a $100 to fix my Mustang Heater Core myself and keep that extra pocket change to pay.

Just Another Silly Blog: 1998 Jeep XJ Heater Core/ Evap

How difficult is it to replace the heater core on a 1990

1. If you did replace your heater core make sure you replace it with a metal end cap core not plastic end cap. My heat blows two years after doing the muriatic acid flush at 180 degrees. It's downright uncomfortable, the way it should be. True Minnesota just don't like the Heat
  2. utes to a half hour to replace
  3. 1998 Heater Core Replacement By thegoat4 (Forum Member) Needed tools: preferably a screwgun or small impact and an air ratchet for all of the screws. firewall. Three near the blower box, one near the center of the wall. Remove the heater box, take off the cover of the heater core, pull off the oval foam piece, and just cut little slits.
  4. Heater core to heater case, securing with two screws. Inlet and outlet heater hoses to heater core. Heater core cover. Heater and A/C programmer. Instrument panel compartment. Right sound insulator. Negative battery cable. Refill cooling system. Refer to Draining an dRefilling in Engine Cooling
  5. Step 2 - Replace heater core. Remove the two supports for the stereo. Remove the two fasteners and the two nuts as well as bolts on the support bar on the passenger side, then pull the bar out. Remove the air duct between the heater core and blower motor. Remove the heater core and install the new one in its place
  6. If you're replacing a water heater, you can replace it with the same type of unit. However, you might also consider upgrading to a larger tank or a tankless heater. When looking for a water heater, consider these features: Gallon Capacity: 40-gallon and 50-gallon heaters are the most common

How to Flush a Heater Core: A Step-by-Step Guide - In The

Heater box has four studs going through the firewall. Three near the blower box, one near the center of the wall. Remove the heater box, take off the cover of the heater core, pull off the oval foam piece, and just cut little slits in the other foam piece, slide out the core When I isolated heater core pipes near the split hose under rear passenger side, I could see vacuum holds at 25psi. So I am suspecting a hole or a hose leak at the heater core. I know heater core is under the battery, but wondering how to get to the heater core

for Core credit, please refer to the shipping instructions above. includes the tools needed to calibrate and service these sterilizers.) Note: Steps #3-6 below (setting the chamber size and type) apply FAILURE TO REPLACE AN OPEN HEATER WILL DAMAGE YOUR NEW REPLACEMENT CONTROL PC BOARD AND CAN VOID YOUR WARRANTY Re: cost to change heater core if anyone needs a heater core or the whole fan assembly with evaporator, blower, and heater core ready to bolt on I have 2 in fantastic shape. 01-03-2010 02:48 PM #1 This is a Direct Fit Factory Replacement Style Heater Core Assembly. This Heater Core Will Fit All Jeep Grand Wagoneers & Full Size Wagoneers, Full Size Cherokees, Cherokee Chief, Jeep J10 & J20 Pick-Up Trucks From 1978-1991. If You Smell Something Sweet In The Vents Or Your Windshield Fogs Up When You Turn Your Defroster On-You Will Need A. how much of the dash has to be removed to replace the heater core and how long will it take.Is this something a professional has to do or can i do it? Read up on the job you are about to perform, it will show you what special tools you will need and you will be much better prepared to tackle any job on your vehicle Take out the screws and clip from the opposite end of the core, then remove the core. To install: Reposition the core in the case, then install the screws and clip. Install the rubber seals around the core nipples. Position the heater case under the dash. On the engine side cowl, install the nuts securing the heater case to the cowl